Official website of the Yakkasaroy District Administration
Font size:
Color scheme:
Images:
The Gates of the Lost Fortress
The Gates of the Lost Fortress

In 1865, a military fortress was built on the left bank of the Anhor, near the Qaytmas Gate. Surrounded by high earth mounds and fragments of brick walls, the fortress could be entered through three gates. The main one — the eastern gate, the most beautiful — has been preserved to this day and is one of the capital’s tourist attractions.

In the 1970s, the former fortress territory became home to the “Pioneer” park, featuring amusement rides and a cinema. Children who strolled here would inevitably climb the preserved gates.

In the 1990s, the First President’s residence, Oqsaroy, was built on the site of the park. Now, this area is the “Islam Karimov Scientific and Educational Memorial Complex,” where visitors can view a photo exhibition and paintings dedicated to the First President, stroll through a beautiful garden, and photograph those eastern gates.

By the way, it’s also possible to approach the gates from the outside — by passing through the nine-story buildings leading to the avenue known among locals as the “Blue Domes.”

As we examine the gates, we forget their military purpose. Their ornate brickwork, characteristic of “Russian Turkestan” buildings, gives them a beautiful and almost mythical appearance.

Also interesting places
P. Benkov Republican Art College
P. Benkov Republican Art College

The white, modest yet highly expressive building of the college was constructed in 1984 on a hill b...

✈️ Tashkent Airport
✈️ Tashkent Airport

The first regular passenger flight from Tashkent to Almaty opened in May 1924. In the 1930s, the f...

Houses on Navoi Street on the Site of the Fair
Houses on Navoi Street on the Site of the Fair

In the spring of 2011, the Navoi Fair was demolished, and construction of eight seven-story reside...

Literature Museum, Youth Theater of Uzbekistan
Literature Museum, Youth Theater of Uzbekistan

The beautiful large building on Navoi Avenue was built in 1940 according to the design of architect...